History of Grace
Organized as Zion English Lutheran Church in 1850, in that same year, the present worship space was constructed on the current site. The congregation had many struggles in those early years but has continued in its life in Christ and witness to the Gospel for all or part of three centuries.
A major redecorating in 1890 resulted in the addition of pews and the present stained glass windows. The name of Zion is preserved in the window over the front door.
The congregation incorporated in 1922 under the name “Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church.” About that same time, the church was raised and a fellowship hall, restrooms, and kitchen were added to the new basement. Interior renovations in the 1940’s and 1980’s resulted in the church’s current appearance.
In 2002, the house next to the church was purchased. The building was named “House of Grace,” and serves as an office for the pastor and secretary/bookkeeper, as well as meeting rooms.
For many years, the congregation struggled with how to make the church handicap accessible. That problem was solved in 2009 when a building was erected, which connects the church with the House of Grace. The new building was named “The Commons.” With permission from the Brookville borough, the sidewalk in front of The Commons was raised in order to make a flat entryway into the building, and a slight ramp was built to connect The Commons and the church. The Commons consists of a gathering room, two handicap accessible restrooms and sacristy upstairs, as well as two handicap accessible restrooms downstairs.
In addition, a room was built downstairs to house a preschool. Growin’ Grace Christian Preschool has been operating in that space since 2009, and has earned the reputation of being the premier preschool in the Brookville area.
Over the years, Grace has been linked with many churches in parish relationships, including Emerickville, Windy Hill, Bell Township, Hormtown, Anita, and Knoxdale. Since the 1980’s, Grace has been united with Trinity Lutheran Church in Reynoldsville as Jefferson Central Lutheran Ministry (JCLM.)
The congregation invites everyone to join us for worship, fellowship, and service in the Name of Christ each Sunday beginning at 9:45 a.m.